Deciding to renovate your home is an exciting time, but some people get stuck when it comes to choosing the right contractor in Tampa, FL. It’s hard to know how to evaluate a company’s work and prices if you’ve never worked with a contractor before. The key is to interview multiple contractors, get verification of their qualifications and get reviews from former and current clients to find the best fit. As with any company or job candidate, the perfect contractor for your home remodel may be different than another person’s.
We’ve put together an overview to demystify the process and help you choose the right home remodeler in Tampa, FL:
- Identify potential contractors: The first thing you need to decide is who you’ll consider for the job. Look up home remodeling contractors in your area, ask your friends and family who they would recommend and make a list of at least 10 different companies. (Social media can be particularly helpful in times like these.) You may be able to visit their home and look at the contractor’s work in person, which is invaluable information.
- Evaluate their body of work: After you’ve identified your list of potential contractors, you’ll need to compare their portfolios. Most contractors have at least some of their work posted online, so you can get a sense of their style and range. Look for a contractor with specific experience in the type of remodel you want to do.
- Ask for license and insurance information: When you call a contractor to get more information, make sure you ask for their licenses and insurance information. Hiring a legitimate and insured contractor will ensure that you have recourse if the work they do isn’t up to par, and insurance will protect all of you if someone is injured on the job.
- Ask for references and testimonials: Getting client references is a great way to find out more about the contractor. Did they complete the job on time and within their quote? Was the work done up to the client’s standards? Did they treat the home and the client’s time respectfully? How is the work holding up? Online reviews like Yelp and Google can also be invaluable—look for a general pattern of feedback.
- Get bids on the job: Next, choose your top three to five contractors and ask them to bid on the job. When the bids are in, you can compare factors such as budget, timeline and your overall impressions of the work they’ve done.
- Choose your contractor: Finally, you’ll choose a contractor—and as with any major purchase, the lowest price does not necessarily indicate the best home remodeler for the job. Once you’ve settled on the final proposal and budget estimate, you can confidently sign the contract and move forward.
Now that you know more about choosing a home remodeler in Tampa, FL, are you ready to remodel your kitchen or bathroom? Schoeman Construction prides itself on beautiful renovations, done right the first time. Call us today to learn more.